Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Nuclear Fusion: The ultimate source of clean and renewable energy

Toward limitless energy: National Ignition Facility focus of symposium, Aug. 19-20

Chemists are preparing to play an important but often unheralded role in determining the success of one of the largest and most important scientific experiments in history — next year's initial attempts at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) to produce the world's first controlled nuclear fusion reaction. If successful in taming the energy source of the sun, stars, and of the hydrogen bomb, scientists could develop a limitless new source of producing electricity for homes, factories, and businesses.

2 comments:

  1. We could also dream about harnessing the power of all the butterfly wings in the world, both dreams have as much validity & promise in the conversation.

    If we will invent a limitless supply of electricity in the future, well then there's no need to conserve or control my use today right? The science geeks are gonna invent a silver bullet that will solve all my problems tomorrow. I don't need any of this green stuff at all, right? The geeks are gonna save my 52 inch plazma tv & Hummer. Hey ,if I don't have to insulate my attic this year I can put those granite counter tops for my kitchen on my credit card! Alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you propose to store the spent rods that come from these reactors? Pay the Indians out West to store them in their mountains? Most are replaced just after they dip from full capacity - and stay hot for 99 years. Why not play Russian Roulette - it's faster.

    ReplyDelete